Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.

Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.
e-mail: batushkad@yahoo.com

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A PERSONAL CAMPAIGN OR AN ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITY?

I was recently challenged by a colleague:

First, it was suggested that I am on a 'personal campaign' to end all psychiatric drugging and am using a particular agencies clients as 'guinea pigs.'

Second, it was suggested that my pointing out dangers of certain psychiatric drugs was placing myself in a a 'role of power' and that disadvantaged individuals would automatically look at my credentials, role, and words, and automatically 'follow wherever I lead them."

I look at that it is not a 'personal campaign' but rather examining the role of health professionals to do no harm. I see the importance of informing parents as an ethical responsibility, to allow them to know that there do exist psycho-social alternatives.
I pointed out to this colleague that surveys provided to each family I am involved with all had very positive remarks and feedback from each and everyone. This was acknowledged by the colleague.
The fact that it is known that many of these psychiatric drugs are leading to psychosis, mania, violence, and suicidality should make this ethical responsibility even more paramount.
Also, NEVER have I suggested to a family to stop a psychiatric drug without them first consulting a medical professional and the majority of the time I have been present to also consult with the medical professional myself.
What I find interesting is that a mental health professional (or educator) who would suggest the psychiatric drugging of children as the first or only resort would almost never be called into question. This would not be construed as a 'personal campaign'. However, this is often far more a personal campaign, as the psychiatrist and even the educator often have something to gain by recommending the drugs. What exactly do I have to gain? Nothing. I do not feel I am exercising undue power of individuals but giving them options, and by this am actually empowering them.


-Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that what you are doing is absolutely right and more mental health professionals should have your approach and values, but they don't yet.
While this remains the case and we are in the majority we just have to stick together
best wishes