Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.

Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.
e-mail: batushkad@yahoo.com

Saturday, February 06, 2010

PSYCHOTHERAPY AS A 'SECULAR MINISTRY'

In the past I had written on my concern about psychotherapists selling 'love' as a commodity, that is, that if psychotherapists are seeking to help individuals then why would be price be put on this. As I began to think about this, I thought of psychotherapy as a 'secular ministry'. Religious ministers offer guidance and support and they receive voluntary donations to help sustain themselves. Therefore, I determined that in my work with persons, I should not set an established fee or look at psychotherapy as some institution in which the therapist holds the power but as a joining of individuals, where the person receives guidance and support voluntarily and decide to make a voluntary donation to help the therapist be able to sustain themselves.

Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D.

www.humanepsychiatry.com

No comments: