Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.

Dr. Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D,B.C.S.A.,DAPA.
e-mail: batushkad@yahoo.com

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

THE KIDS FOR CASH SCANDAL IN LUZERNE COUNTY/ CIAVARELLA-CONAHAN

I recall in 2006, that I began hearing some odd reports from families about unusual practices in the Luzerne County Court regarding Juveniles. This involved children being sent to a detention center in Pittston Township as well as to Camp Adams, a facility operated by Youth Services Agency. I was unable to verify much of this information, but knew that something did not appear right, so it came as no surprise when the judges were implicated in scandal. In 2006, an position was open for a specual education director at the Juvenile Detention Center operated by PA Child Care. I decided to apply for this position not because I had any intention of working in the facility but thought it would give me an opportunity to get within the facility and see it for what it is. As I had applied for the position, I was taken on a tour of the facility by one of the directors who went by the name of DePippa. What I saw was appaling and sad, the only fresh air these children received was in a small square basketball court within the center of the complex. I saw a large staff holding a child down and screaming at her, this was at the end of a hallway so I could not really tell what was happening and then was immediately shuffled to another room. Now we sadly find that 6500 juvenile cases have been vacated, these children were sent to a horrible place, probably forever to be scarred by this experience. What have we learned from this experience? Will it change the way we meet the needs of our troubled youth? Will it change our perspectives? I can only hope, but each day I continue to see the unfortunate ways we deal with our youth and a society filled with corruption and greed.

-Dan L. Edmunds, Ed.D.
www.humanepsychiatry.com
www.DrDanEdmunds.com

No comments: